The Hennepin County Medical Center Interdisciplinary Simulation and Education Center (ISEC) provides a guided, safe environment for healthcare professionals to practice real-life medical situations and procedures. Using our state-of-the-art simulation equipment, participants learn proper techniques, refine interpersonal skills, and build confidence in their abilities. As a multidisciplinary training center, ISEC conducts educational programs for nurses, physicians, pre-hospital providers, and other allied health professionals from HCMC as well as community groups from across the region.
Mission Statement and Vision
The HCMC Simuluation Center’s vision is to revolutionize healthcare through state-of-the-art simulation. Our mission is to develop competence and promote confidence through providing immersive hands-on education. This will result in outstanding outcomes and experiences for patients, their families, and our diverse community.We are proud to feature:
- A state of the art learning environment in which trainees can practice medicine without risk
- High fidelity simulation spaces, including 2 rooms designed to mimic an ED and ICU environment
- A full fleet of high fidelity human patient simulators (mannequins) representing newborn through adult patients
- A wide variety of procedural task trainers; after training, residents have 24/7 access to use these trainers
- Expert simulation staff to assist with developing optimal simulated learning activities
- Multidisciplinary course offerings
The Interdisciplinary Simulation and Education Center enables HCMC to continue a longstanding commitment to training the nation’s health care providers. The first teaching hospital in Minnesota, HCMC now trains more than 20,000 health care providers every year – at HCMC, online, and through outreach training programs across the state. By revolutionizing medical education for providers, we hope to ensure that all patients receive the best and safest care possible.
The simulation center is a regular part of EM Resident Education. In addition to use during regular conference hours and New Resident Orientation, every resident completes a high-acuity low-frequency simulation curriculum during their training, to ensure small-group hands-on management of rare and complex case presentations requiring emergent management. Every resident also does an annual procedure lab, incorporating 40+ EM procedures of varying acuity, and a dedicated G1 simulation case curriculum will be implemented in the 2017-2018 academic year.
*This page’s content was mirrored, with subsequent edits, from HCMC Sim Center Homepage: